Thursday, October 11, 2012

Being Independent.

Having a full time job since I was 17 -- I'm now 20, I know the value of a dollar. I come from a less-than-functional home. Financially and emotionally distraught, my family did their best raising me until I became legal age to do it all myself.

Being declared independent from my family last year was eye-opening to say the least. College, car, and insurance payments are just a few of the bills I pay every month. Top that with my full time course hours and I'm what you would call a hot mess.

Anxiety and depression are just a few of the ailments that run through my veins. As my parents declared me independent, they declared themselves as uninterested. What I do is my business, and I consider myself lucky if they even take the time to ask.

Being independent has wired me on an entirely new form of depression. I was significantly overwhelmed with the stress and anxiety of my new lifestyle. Learning along the way, I realized a few different things to help me overcome these trials and tribulations.

1. Your passion is a priority.

Your main focus, when being alone/independent, needs to be yourself. Keep yourself at the top of your list, and don't forget your main goals. Your dreams aren't unachievable just because you're on your own, if anything... they're more achievable because you can rely solely on yourself. 

2. Life is short.

It is no use dwelling on things you can't change. Life is short so live it to the best of your ability and keep going. Trust me, being independent and accomplishing your goals will give you a sense of satisfaction you haven't even imagined. 

3. Others may not fully understand.

I'm always one to advocate expressing your feelings. However, most of your friends won't understand exactly what you're going through. Whether your independent or just lacking support, realize your friends wont have all the answers. Trust them, tell them your secrets, however only expect the "right" answers to come from yourself. 

4. Remember anything is possible.

The future is uncertain, eat your dessert first ;)  As cliche as this sounds, you can do anything you set your mind to. Always keep moving forward and eventually you'll find yourself living your dream. 

5. You can do this without their support.

It’s natural to want support and encouragement from the people around you, but it is possible to do what you want to do without it. Just think of how many successful, inspiring people took the road less traveled.
You’re a very powerful being, just by yourself. Believe in that, don’t give up, and you’ll go a long way, whichever road you take.

7. You can’t please everyone in life.

You can’t. It’s impossible. And a lot of people forget that. If you try to please everyone, it’s going to be next to impossible. So don’t bother. Keep your focus on what you want to do and why. In an ideal world, would we could constantly surrounded ourselves with positivity. We can’t do that, but we can work on ourselves so that we stay committed and positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment