Monday, October 8, 2012

The Start of Something New

11:04am, Sunday October 8th 2012

Starting another chapter in my life, I've realized something: It's not easy or fun but it's always worth it.

I moved to a city two years ago. California was always a dream of mine, and moving here was the scariest thing I've ever done. In the words of Journey, I was just a small town girl living in a lonely world. Culture shocked and excited, this city opened the pages to the next part of my book. Moving into a cramped dorm room with a less-than-adequate roommate, home-sickness swept over me like a dust storm in the Sahara.

"Mom, please... I want to come home."
"Honey, no."

I poured myself into the life of a city girl and I fell in love. Never again would I worry about the "drama" and frustration that came with living in a small town -- or so I thought. My studies became priority, which IS what I was paying for right? I finished my freshman year with honors, great memories, and a broken heart.

Returning to the small town that I missed so dearly 9 months prior, I realized I only missed the familiar. I crave adventure all the time, 24/7, and being enclosed in the miles of beautiful landscapes and 4 stoplights just wasn't enough for me anymore. My countdown to return to the beautiful city I call home began on the day I left it.

"I could really use a wish right now."

Summer came and went, lines were crossed and my memories blur. It was easily the best summer of my life, but the city lights called me home mid-August. Moving into yet another cramped dorm space with very adequate roommates, I began my sophomore year. However, the city lights became brighter and I found myself thrown back into desperation -- desperation to be enclosed in the city limits of my hometown.

My fascination with this "city culture" had diminished, and I found myself stuck underneath the smog-filled city sky, dreaming of stars and the familiar. This is my journey, stuck in the place I used to love, missing the place I used to hate, and balancing my life in-between.


No comments:

Post a Comment