Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Art of Being Bullied

College is filled with men and women of different backgrounds and culture. During my first year in college, I was victim to extreme bullying and harassment. Unsure of what to do, I allowed it to continue for months until threats of my life were made. My RA's made pathetic attempts to solve the problem, and eventually I accepted defeat. I allowed this person to run and control my life and my feelings.

Bullying is real. It is not teasing or joking, the victim will not brush it off and forget. Bullying can cause serious mental and emotional issues: for me, it was depression. The culture of my bully is one of no respect and no emotion. Facing issues from his childhood, his goal was to inflict the same pain on others that he had endured.

If you begin college and face bullies, I suggest you take immediate action.

1) Contact your RA or someone in authority (teachers, the dean, the police, etc)
Although my RA's provided little support and help, it was still important that I told them. If something was to happen, it's important that someone would know the extremes of the circumstance. Yes, it's scary to tell somebody. I lived in constant fear that if my bully found out, it would be worse. However, my bully was a school athlete and I told him I would contact his coaches if it continued (that kind of helped, not really though.) Eventually my parents called the police for me. Let someone know. Don't keep this inside because it will slowly destroy your self-esteem.

2) If your bully threatens your life: DO NOT confront him/her alone.
Do not be vulnerable. Walk in groups. Carry pepper spray or some form of protection. You might feel silly but this is important. It's always better safe than sorry.

3) If you begin sinking into depression or other mental/emotional turmoil, go to the counseling center.
I hate therapy. I have tried therapy 100+ times throughout my life, and I was never satisfied. However, I did attend a few sessions after my depression began. Not only are you telling another person of authority, they will listen and understand. They will offer good advice and help you work through your feelings.

4) If you have a release, do it.
I write poetry, stories, rambles, and just about anything when I'm upset. Do it. Sort this out. Get the feelings on paper or on your computer screen. It's important you don't pent these up inside.

The Art of Being Bullied: by "The Realist"
Soften the blows against my heart,
crying desperately alone in the dark.
Everyone see's but they refuse to accept,
the darkness entwined through the words of his text.

Black as night, his words are dark too.
Unfortunate enough to maybe be true.
Why do I say this when I know his words are lies?
Because he convinces me I'm lucky to be alive.

Lucky I am, to have been given a chance
by the great God above, I'm nothing at best.
Whore, slut, bitch are his platforms,
his words attack my life like a level four storm.

"Try to defend yourself," he mocks.
You'd be lucky if I throw you down on the rocks.
Fingerprint bruises mark my forearm,
my life is spent trying to win back his charm.

His words pollute twitter and facebook as well,
my friends play it off, they're scared, I can tell.
If they defend, they'll be next.
Playing it safe in the darkness of their heads.

Cameron, you got me, you conditioned me well.
My life is better spent if I'm rotting in hell.
That's where I belong, right? That's what you said.
The knife cuts my wrist deep as I'm 'asleep' in my bed.

Blood, unworthy of running through my veins,
the desperate cries of hurt feelings and pain.
"Cry it off," they say as they secretly comfort me.
The scars that on my arms are the least you can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment